Experience Markets and Shopping…
The region has something for everyone – farmers’ market, collectibles, locally-made goods and treasures
Must dos for
Markets and Shopping…
• Visit the Saturday morning Matakana Farmers Market
• Follow the Matakana Collectibles Trail
• Uncover treasures off the beaten track
• Discover Shadze of Lace designer clothing in Warkworth
Matakana Village Farmers’ Market
The picturesque Matakana village is home to the famous Matakana Village Farmers’ Market that is on every Saturday from 8am until 1pm. The market is a showcase of artisan producers, growers and farmers in the Matakana region and is a unique experience everyone loves. There is usually live music and seats and even a dog-sitting service.
Matakana Village has a fabulous range of shops including fashion, surf wear, homewares, book, gifts, art, health food shops and many more. There are also beauty salons, bars, restaurants and cafes so plenty to keep any shopaholic occupied for a few hours. www.matakanavillage.co.nz
Flowing through the Warkworth township is the Mahurangi River, which was once the lifeblood of Warkworth. A busy stream of sail boats constantly cruising the waterways, trading between the town and Auckland.
Today you can enjoy a stroll alongside the river and visit a range of boutique shops selling fashion, chocolates and crafts.
Visit Shadze of Lace for custom-made clothing, hand crafted by a Leigh local. You can also see their range of designer women’s wear online.
Matakana Collectibles Trail
A perfect way to to rummage among the treasures in these interesting shops. An array of vintage, modern and eccentric delights are waiting to be uncovered, with coffee and gelato on the way! Pick up your trail map at the Matakana Information Centre and start trekking.
The base hours for the trail are as follows, but each shop’s hours are slightly different so check out their websites for more details. Links to the websites for each shop are on the Collectible Trails website.
Hours: Summer: Labour Weekend to Easter Weekend Fri – Mon 10am to 4pm.
Winter: Saturday and Sunday 10am to 3pm.
Matakana Markets (next to the Matakana Village Famers’ Market)
- Every Saturday 8am-1pm – The Old Dairy Factory, Matakana
Matakana Weekend Market
- Monthly in winter, fortnightly in summer. 10am – 2pm – Matakana Community Hall
- A little bit of vintage and so much more! Antiques, collectables, jewellery, produce, hand made clothing, perfume, dog coats, wheat bags, candle and upcycled furniture.
- For more information check out their Facebook or contact Jacky on 09 422 9221 or 027 856 5656
Mangawhai Famers Market
- Every Saturday 9am-1pm – The Village, Library Hall, Mangawhai
Warkworth Museum Market Day
- 1st Sat of the month 8am-1pm – Old Masonic Hall, Warkworth
- 1st Sat of the month 9am-2pm – OWL Community Hub, 120 Rodney Road, Wellsford
Waipu Boutique Market
- 2nd Sun of the month 9am-1pm – Coronation Hall, Waipu
Puhoi Famers Market
- Last Sun of the month 9am-1pm – Puhoi Domain
Get In Touch
Leigh Business General Enquiries leighbytheseaNZ@gmail.com
Please contact individual businesses directly about bookings.
Postal: Care of Leigh General Store